EPISODE 1: SELF-AWARENESS
Chuck draws insights from the teaching framework of best-selling author Daniel Goleman (“EMOTIONAL INTELLIGENCE”) and other “EI” thought leaders.
Emotional Intelligence (EI) can be defined as one’s ability to recognize, understand and manage their own emotions, as well as their ability to recognize, manage and influence the emotions of others.
Self-Awareness is simply knowing one’s own emotions and the impact they have on others.
Three Indicators of Leaders with Healthy Self-Awareness Are:
- A keen understanding of their personal strengths and weaknesses.
- A good measure of self-confidence
- A hunger for feedback and critique
Three Suggestions from Chuck to Grow in Your Self-Awareness
- Utilize a 360-type of instrument that provides you with useful feedback from others regarding your own performance. The more closely aligned your own perspective is with the feedback you receive, the greater your self-awareness.
- Avail yourself of a trusted “truth-teller”. We all need wise people in our lives that have our permission to share their honest observations about us.
- Employ intentional personal reflection. Greek philosopher Aristotle wrote, “Knowing yourself is the beginning of all wisdom.”
Next week’s EI episode: Self-Regulation