Chuck will continue to share insights from the teaching framework of best-selling author Daniel Goleman (“EMOTIONAL INTELLIGENCE”).
Chuck defines Motivation as “the drive to achieve”
Two basic types of Motivation:
- Intrinsic Motivation – the internal drive to achieve
- Extrinsic Motivation – motivation rooted in earning positive rewards or avoiding negative consequences
Some Benefits of Motivation
- Strong levels of energy
- Higher personal expectations
- Greater level of productivity
- Enhanced standing as a leader
- Ability to recover more quickly from setbacks
Fact: Most leaders experience a lessening in their Motivation levels occasionally.
What Are Some Causes of a Drop in Motivation?
- Life issues
- Health factors
- Lack of challenge in your current professional role
If you are experiencing a strong lack of motivation, Chuck offers 4 questions for personal reflection
- Is this a short-term or long-term situation?
- Can I point to a specific cause(s) behind my loss in motivation?
- Is this cause likely to change at some point or how can I change it myself?
- Can I enlist some support during this season?
- A trusted colleague
- A professional counselor
- An experienced coach
“If there is one trait that virtually all effective leaders have, it is motivation – a variety of self-management whereby we mobilize our positive emotions to drive us toward our goals.” – Daniel Goleman